Native Americans lived near Georgetown. In the winter of 1873 a permanent community was established at Johnson Station near the North Fork of Elkhorn Creek. The city's name was later changed in honor of President George Washing in 1790.
The city covers 17 square miles and consists of about 37,100 people. The economy has transition from agriculture to mixing manufacturing, small businesses, and family farm economy. The Toyota manufacturing plant in 1985 was the peak of the fastest growth the city has ever seen.